Top 25 college soccer men

How the Top 25 Men Fared

college soccer men's scores

Men's NCAA Bracket

Men's Conference Tournaments

Top 25 college soccer women

How the Top 25 Women Fared

college soccer women's scores

Women's NCAA Bracket

Women's Conference Tournaments

college soccer

Men's Statistics

Men's College Cup

Rahimís goal lifts UConn past Brown 1-0; Indiana, SMU, Creighton, also advance to national semifinals.

STORRS (Sunday, December 3, 2000) -- Senior Brent Rahimís first-half goal was enough to lift No. 6 Connecticut past 25th-ranked Brown in an NCAA quarterfinal match before 5.204 at Morrone Stadium this afternoon.

UConn (18-3-2) advanced to the Menís College Cup semifinals for the second straight year and will take on No. 8 Southern Methodist Friday at 7:30 p.m (ET) at Ericsson Stadium in Charlotte, N.C. SMU was one of three road team to win quarterfinals on Saturday, shocking third-ranked Stanford 2-1.

Two-time defending champion Indiana, ranked 15th, ended the season for No. 1 North Carolina 1-0 and ninth-ranked Creighton rolled over No. 4 Virginia 3-0. Creighton will face Indiana Friday at 5 p.m. Tapes of those games will be televised by ESPN2 Saturday at 12:30 and 2:30, respectively.

The national championship will be decided Sunday at 1 p.m., broadcast live by ESPN2.

SMU, is the only of eight seeds to advance to the final weekend at No. 6. UNC was seeded first, Stanford third and Virginia fifth.

Freshman Cesar Cuellar received a long ball from junior Mansour Ndiaye and delicately passed to Rahim, who had gained a step on a defender and was breaking in down the right flank. Rahim calmly rifled a shot from 18 yards out past the lunge of charging Brown keeper Matt Cross into the left corner of the net for the 1-0 advantage at 19:10.

Defensive play dominated the contest. UConn held a slim 8-6 edge in shots and both clubs managed three corner kicks apiece.

Connecticut junior goalkeeper Bryheem Hancock made three saves for his 13th shutout of the season.

The trip is the Huskiesí fifth to the national semifinals. UConn won the 1981 Division I title in its first visit to the Final Four, and returned in 1982 and 1983. A year ago, UConn lost in the semis 2-1 to Santa Clara in a fourth overtime period.

Brown concluded its season 13-6-1.

[15] Indiana 1, [1] North Carolina 0

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. -- Junior Ryan netted the games only goal midway through the second half to lead two-time defending NCAA champion Indiana (16-6) to a 1-0 upset of top-ranked North Carolina in a defensive struggle before 1,925 in the rain at Fetzer Field.

"Defense wins championships," said Hoosiers coach Jerry Yeagley, leading his team to a fourth straight Final Four. "A few times I thought they sent out their basketball team. Our defense had to be key in a victory against their big lineup."

Mack netted the No. 15 Hoosiersí winner off a feed from senior Justin Tauber at 58:42.

After a single save in the first half, IU keeper Colin Rogers posted five stops after intermission to give Indiana its 44th shutout in NCAA Tournament play. Several big saves by Rogers and his defenders, including a goal-line save by Tyler Hawley, shut out the Tar Heels (21-3) for the first time this season.

"The defense did a great job in the back," Rogers said. "I just concentrated on making exits when I knew I could get the ball or waiting for second balls."

The Tar Heels outshot Indiana 18-8 and had earned eight second-half corner kicks.

[9] Creighton 3, [4] Virginia 0

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. -- Senior striker Brian Mullan produced two goals and an assist and ninth-ranked Creighton is headed to the Final Four for the second time in five years after storming to a 3-0 victory over No. 4 Virginia.

Creighton (21-3) went ahead 1-0 at 7:42 on a Mullan blast off a pass from freshman Corey Fox.

CU goalkeeper Mike Gabb stopped Steve Tottenís penalty kick at 23:50 to preserve the lead on of his nine saves as the Cavaliers (17-6-1) outshot the Bluejays 24-11.

Sophomore forward Mike Tranchilla, fed by Mullan, netted his team-leading 18th goal at 55:58 to make it 2-0.

Mullan added his 17th goal of the year at 89:18 off an assist from junior Keith Sawarynski for the 3-0 final.

[8] Southern Methodist 2, [3] Stanford 1

STANFORD, Calif. -- After eight quarterfinal setbacks, No. 8 Southern Methodist is finally heading to the Final Four after erasing a second-half deficit, defeating third-ranked Stanford 2-1 before 2,854 at Maloney Field.

The match-up saw SMU, with the top-scoring team in the nation, prevailing against the most stingy defense in the NCAAís Division I.

Junior forward Mohamed Fahim score both goals for the Mustangs (20-4), which set school record for victories and games played in a season. SMUís eight losses in the quarterfinals date back to 1985.

Fahim collected the game-winner at 80:06 after junior Carl Bussey carried down the right side and fired a centering pass for which Cardinal goalkeeper Adam Zapala came out and stopped. The ball, however, bounced out of his hands to Fahim chipped it over the keeper.

Fahim knotted the game at 1-1 with a 35-yard blast beyond Zapala into the upper left corner at 65:22.

Derek Shanahan netted a volley at 18:34 to give Stanford (18-3-1) at 1-0 advantage.

©Copyright 2000 All Rights Reserved