Women's top 25

How the Women's Top 25 Fared

Women's scores

Women's Player of the Week

Men's top 25

How the Men's Top 25 Fared

Men's scores

Men's Player of the Week

College soccer

Men's College Cup

Indiana shakes off scoring drought, blasts San Jose State 4-0.

SANTA CLARA, Calif. (Saturday, November 18, 2000) -- Two-time defending NCAA Division I champion Indiana, led by a goal and an assist apiece from Pat Noonan and Ryan Mack, stunned No. 2 San Jose State 4-0 in a first-round NCAA tournament match before 1,383 at Buck Shaw Stadium.

The 15th-ranked Hoosiers (14-6) advanced to meet Washington in the second round.

After scoring only one goal in the past 344:51 of play, Indiana grabbed a 1-0 lead just 4:39 into the game when Pat Noonan took a long pass from Justin Tauber, worked past one defender and scored on a 15-yard shot into the upper left corner.

"Tauber put a perfect ball at my foot," said Noonan, a sophomore striker. "The defender overstepped it a bit and I was able to put it in."

The Hoosiers made it 2-0 at 19:15 when Matt Fundenberger headed in a free kick from Mack, a junior who earned his 11th assist of the season.

"This whole game revolved around one simple fact -- they got up 2-0 early," SJSU coach Gary St. Clair said. "All we needed to do was score one goal and it would've changed the complexion of the game."

In the second half, John Swann scored following Marcus Chorvat's corner kick to make it 3-0 at 65:51.

Indiana ended the scoring at 85:40 when Mack scored after taking a pass from Noonan.

"Recently we havenít been able to finish our scoring opportunities, but it seemed as if we cleaned that up quite well today," said Indiana coach Jerry Yeagley. "Our confidence and veteran experience are also important when reaching tournament play.

San Jose State (21-1-1), the tournamentís third seed, outshot Indiana, 21-11 with T.J. Hanning making six saves to record the shutout for IU.

"We've been creating chances all season and taking advantage of them," Spartans midfielder Jorge Martinez said. "I had the chances I've had in other games but couldn't put them in."

[5] San Diego 1, UCLA 0 (OT)

SAN DIEGO -- Senior Miguel Suazoscored the gameís only goal 10:56 into the first sudden-death overtime period to give fifth-ranked San Diego a 1-0 victory over No. 21 before a standing-room-only crowd of 4,000.

The Toreros (16-1-2), the tournamentís fourth seed, No. 4 seed in this yearís tournament, advanced to a second-round winner of Sundayís match between Creighton and Ohio State.

The game-winner was set up when freshman Matt McCausland sent a ball from the right side to the middle toward Ryan Coiner. Two UCLA defenders marked Coiner, but sthe ball cleared past all three of them and Suazo found himself wide open just to the left of the goal. Suazo trapped the ball and blasted it past Bruin keeper D.J. Countess to the right corner for his fifth goal of the season.

"This was a great soccer game," said Toreros coach Seamus McFadden who was named West Coast Conference "Coach of the Year" for the third straight season. "The fans got their moneyís worth, but I got a few more gray hairs. This teamís been resilient all season."

Both teams had plenty of chances as the Bruins (12-7) outshot the Toreros 17-13, 11-5 in the second half. UCLA took 10 corner kicks to three by USD.

Bruins scoring leader McKinley Tennyson had 8 of UCLAís 17 shots, but Torero keeper Justin Neerhof made seven saves and improved his record in net to 14-0-2. A few minutes prior to Suazoís heroics, the Toreros almost won the game when Coiner, the teamís leading scorer with 17 goals and eight assists for 42 points, found himself on a counterattack, but his wide-open chip shot sailed high over the goal.

[8] Southern Methodist 2, IUPU-Indianapolis 0

DALLAS -- Diego Walsh and Matt Whitely scored -- both off assists from junior forward Mohamed Fahim -- scored to propel No. 8 Southern Methodist to a 2-0 victory over Indiana University-Purdue University-Indianapolis before 256 at Westcott Field.

The Mustangs (18-6), the sixth seed in the tournament, advanced to a second-round match next weekend against Kentucky which needed penalty kicks to eliminate Saint Louis after 150 scorless minutes. IUPUI finished 11-9-2 after the schoolís first NCAA tournament appearance.

The Mustangs came out strong, controlling the tempo and applying offensive pressure. SMU fired shot after shot, but Jaguars goalkeeper Armando Femia kept making the saves to keep the match scoreless through the first 28 minutes.

Then, Walsh, a sophomore and the Missouri Valley Conference "Player of the Year," fired in a shot off a diagonal feed from Fahim at 28:40.

"We played very well. We moved the ball well and early," SMU coach Schellas Hyndman said. "I was happy with our defense. Offensively, Diego was special tonight. He always creates opportunities for us."

SMU added an insurance goal at 61:22 when Whiteley, a senior midfielder, netted a rebound of Fahimís shot off Femia.

"We brought in a very gutsy team," IUPUI coach Steve Franklin said. "About four weeks ago, nobody predicted that we would even be here. This was not just any other game. We're taking our baby steps. We've only been in the NCAA Division I arena for three years. . . The difference between SMU and our team is the technical speed that SMU has. They just continue to run at you."

[12] St. Johnís 1, [16] James Madison 0

HARRISONBURG, Va. -- Junior Shalrie Joseph scored in the 76th minute to lift No. 12 St. John's to a 1-0 victory over 16th-ranked James Madison (17-4-1).

St. Johnís (14-4-2) advanced to a second-round meeting with Virginia.

"It was a tough game. JMU is a very well-organized team," St. John's coach Dave Masur said. "The game could have gone either way, and we're fortunate to come out with a victory."

Junior Jeff Matteo eluded a defender on the left side, sent a ball across to Joseph, who hit a 10-yard shot into the far corner of the net at 75:50.

"We fell asleep one time and St. John's took advantage of the lapse, and that was the game." JMU coach Tom Martin said. "It was a very difficult game, but we can't lose sight of the season that we had."

St. John's held a 16-10 shots advantage. JMU's best scoring chance came early in the second half when St. John's goalkeeper Jeff Stoklosa stuffed a shot from JMU senior Brandon Wright in a one-on-one situation.

Stoklosa made seven saves to earn his eighth complete-game shutout of the season. JMU sophomore goaltender Josh Kovolenko made two saves.

Kentucky 0, [11] Saint Louis 0 (4OT)
(Kentucky wins 4-2 in penalty kicks)

ST. LOUIS -- After playing scoreless through four overtime periods, the unseeded and unranked Kentucky used a 4-2 edge in penalty kicks to eliminate host No. 11 Saint Louis on penalty kicks before 2,125 fans.

Senior goalkeeper Brian OíLeary blocked two Billiken PKs to send the Wildcats (11-8-2) to the second round of the NCAA Tournament for the first time in school history. Southern Methodist will be the opponent,

"This is such a big win for us," head coach Ian Collins said. "I cannot tell you how proud I am of my guys. Every one of them played their hearts out today. I have to give credit to Saint Louis. They are a very good team, and they have some great players who will surely play professionally. We are going to enjoy this today and then get ready to prepare for next week."

After 150 minutes of scoreless play, Kentucky shot first in the shootout with junior Marc Theriault hitting the crossbar. OíLeary blocked the first and third Billiken kicks, and the Cats went up 3-2 off goals by OíLeary, Brian Mitts and Chris Austin

Sophomore J.D. Stephenson blasted the deciding kick past SLU goalkeeper John Politis.

Saint Louis held a 21-7 shots advantage with OíLeary making 11 saves while getting help from freshmen Thomas Graham and Craig Pykett who cleared shots off their goal line. OíLearyís ninth shutout and fourth of the postseason lowered his goals-against average to 0.95 and extended his scoreless streak to 485 minutes.

"That is about the best goalkeeping I have seen," SLU coach Bob Warming said.

©Copyright 2000 All Rights Reserved