Women's top 25

How the Women's Top 25 Fared

Women's scores

Women's Player of the Week

Men's top 25

How the Men's Top 25 Fared

Men's scores

Men's Player of the Week

College soccer

Men's College Cup

Laycock scores two to tie, then Kneipper the winner in sudden death for UNC which overcomes William & Mary 3-2 in first round.

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (Sunday, November 19, 2000) -- Matt Laycock found net twice and fellow reserve Ryan Kneipper scored the winner five minutes into sudden death for No. 1 North Carolina, which erased a two-goal second-half deficit and dropped William & Mary 3-2 in an NCAA first round match before 855 fans who braved a snowstorm at Fetzer Field this afternoon.

With the victory, Carolina (20-2), the tournament’s top seed, advanced to next weekend’s second round and will host Rhode Island here at 1 p.m. (ET). The Rams defeated Boston College 3-0 today in Kingston, R.I.

Chris Carrieri, the Atlantic Coast Conference "Player of the Year," who set up the tying goal, assisted on the game-winner in overtime with a cross from the right side found the head of Kneipper who beat goalkeeper Trevor Upton to the near post at 94:27.

Laycock's first goal came when he headed in a pass off a set piece off a pass by captain Danny Jackson to narrow the Tar Heels’ deficit to 2-1 at 64:23.

Laycock, a junior co-captain who has been limited all season by chronic hamstring and knee soreness, tied the game with his second header off assists by Matt Crawford and Chris Carrieri at 74:27.

After a scoreless first half, William & Mary (12-9-2) jumped ahead with two quick goals in a four-minute span. At 59:10, Carlos Garcia outbattled UNC goalkeeper Michael Ueltschey for a loose ball in front the of the net and scored for a 1-0 lead.

Then, Phillip Hucles took a Kevin Knott assist on a free kick and scored for a 2-0 advantage at 62:49.

[7] Clemson 3, [20] Furman 2

CLEMSON, S.C. -- Eric Lewis, who earlier contributed an assist, scored with 3:39 remaining to lead No. 7 Clemson to a 3-2 triumph over 20th-ranked Furman before 551 amidst snow flurries and freezing temperatures at Historic Riggs Field.

Pablo Webster threw a long ball into the penalty area where Oguchi Onyewu, flicked to Lewis. Lewis used one touch before burying his shot six yards into the net for a 3-2 lead at 86:21.

"First of all, Furman did an excellent job today," Tigers coach Trevor Adair said. "They gave us a great fight and it is unfortunate that one of these two teams had to lose. I am so proud of our guys, and I could not be happier for them."

Clemson (14-3-2), the tournament’s second seed, will host Connecticut next Sunday in the second round.

Furman (17-4-2) took a 1-0 lead when Matt Goldsmith scored on an assist by McNeil Cronin at 22:44.

Clemson scored two unanswered goals to take a 2-1 lead early in the second half. Mark Lisi netted a direct kick from just outside of the box at 56:12 to tie things at 1-1. Steven Rhyne converted a breakaway at 63:44, with assists going to Ian Fuller and Lewis, to put the Tigers ahead.

Furman tied the score 2-2 at 65:38 when Patrick Tanner scored off an assist by Cronin.

"I'm disappointed that the season is over, but this was a great, great college soccer game, and I'm really proud of the way our kids played " said Furman head coach Doug Allison. "Anyone could have won it, and I give them credit for finishing their last chance to win the match. Everyone who braved the elements and came out to watch the match saw an incredible soccer match."

[9] Creighton 1, Ohio State 0

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Striker Mike Tranchilla’s first-half goal was enough for No. 9 Creighton to edge 19th-ranked Ohio State 1-0 at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium.

The Bluejays (18-3) advanced to a second-round match at fifth-ranked San Diego.

"Today's game was what we expected," Creighton coach Bret Simon said. "It was very physical and hard-fought. Ohio State didn't give an inch anywhere on the ground. It was a battle every time they touched the ball. We feel very fortunate to come away with a win. There were some very good chances by Ohio State in each half that, with a little better roll or a few inches here or there, might have changed the outcome of the game."

Midfielder Ishmael Mintah began the winning sequence with a cross to Tranchilla who put the ball past Buckeyes junior goalkeeper Kerry Thompson into the lower left corner from one yard out.

Despite several good chances in the second half, Ohio State (12-5-4) couldn’t equalize. Junior defender Daryl Brazeau shot just wide in the 71st minute. In the 87th minute, sophomore midfielder Jake Traeger drilled a shot off the crossbar.

"I was very proud of the way our team played today," OSU coach John Bluem said. "I thought they gave a great effort and played very well. There were spurts of the game where we did a great job and there were times where we had letdowns. I don't think Creighton's NCAA experience gave them any advantage today. I think we played them even. We represented ourselves well. Unfortunately, we weren't able to get one and they were."

[14] Duke 1, [10] South Carolina 0

COLUMBIA, S.C. -- Striker Ali Curtis netted a penalty kick midway through the second half to lead No. 14 Duke to a 1-0 victory over 10th-ranked South Carolina before 468 in non-stop rain at Stone Stadium.

Duke (15-5) will face Rhode Island next weekend in the second round.

The penalty kick was awarded when USC midfielder Dave Moore took down Curtis in the box. Curtis slipped his PK past keeper Henry Ring.

"I'd like to thank Ali Curtis for fact that we are still playing," Duke coach John Rennie said. "I thought this was one of the best individual efforts I have ever seen in a college soccer game. He got through the defense time and time again, he was double-teamed, triple teamed, and he kept going and going and got the goal."

Carolina, the tournament’s seventh seed, ended its season 12-4-3. "We had a great game today and despite the conditions, you saw two teams who put everything on the line today," USC coach Mark Berson said. "It's disappointing to come out on the short end."

Illinois-Chicago 1, Bradley 0

PEORIA, Ill. -- Freshman defender Pablo Melgar scored his second goal of the year on a free kick in the 84th minute leading Illinois-Chicago to a 1-0 victory over Bradley before 1,503, the largest Bradley home crowd ever, at Chiefs Club Field.

Illinois-Chicago (18-3-2) advanced to the second round of the NCAA tournament for the first time in school history and will face the No. 3 Stanford next weekend. Bradley (15-7-2) was making its first-ever NCAA tournament appearance in the program's 14 years.

Despite playing without two-time All-American forward Gavin Glinton (hamstring) and second-team All-Missouri Valley Conference defender Tim Regan (red card suspension), the Braves outshot UIC 23-14 and held the Flames without a shot on goal until the 74th minute. Too many missed opportunities, however, cost the Braves in the end.

UIC had defenders clear four potential goals off their line, three by Greg Chrisman, and another Bradley shot hit the right post.

Goalkeeper Chris Jamal made seven saves for the shutout.

[6] Connecticut 3, Dartmouth 0

STORRS, Conn. -- Sophomore Rui Fernandes scored in the second minute and No. 6 Connecticut cruised to a 3-0 triumph over Dartmouth before 2,423 at Morrone Stadium.

The Huskies (16-3-2) will travel to No. 7 Clemson next weekend for the second round. Dartmouth finished 12-6.

Fernandes found net at 1:30, sneaking a shot past Dartmouth keeper Ben Gebre-Medhin after a scramble in the box.

Freshman Lindon Pecorelli scored from 18 yards for a 2-0 lead at 24:12 out after receiving a pass from freshman Cesar Cuellar

At 47:15, senior Edwin Rivera scored after taking a serve from senior Darin Lewis who had been fed on the left side of the box by Cuellar.

Junior Bryheem Hancock made five stops to record his 12th shutout of the season for UConn.

[4] Virginia 5, Lehigh 0

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. -- Ryan Kelly scored twice, sparking No. 4 Virginia to an easy 5-0 shutout of Lehigh before 1,215 at Klöckner Stadium. The Cavaliers (16-5-1), who held a 30-1 edge in shots over Lehigh (12-6-3), will host St. John’s next weekend in the second round.

After missing on several early scoring opportunities early on, Virginia went ahead 1-0 when Kelly gathered a loose ball off a deflection in front of the Lehigh goal and beat LU goalkeeper Ryan Grezeszczak from five yards.

The Cavaliers increased the bulge to 2-0 at 42:26 when Alecko Eskandarian weaved his way through several Mountain Hawks defenders and fired home a shot from 15 yards. Eskandarian's 16th goal of the season tied him with current U.Va. head coach George Gelnovatch for most goals scored by a freshman. His 38 points broke Gelnovatch’s freshman record of 37.

Steve Totten gave Virginia a 3-0 lead when he scored from 22 yards after taking a cross from Ryan Gibbs

Kelly’s second goal at 76:07 came after when he gathered a loose ball and found net from 12 yards for a 4-0 advantage. Eric Solomon recorded U.Va.'s final goal when he chipped in a shot at 83:36, making it 5-0.

[25] Brown 2, Vermont 0

PROVIDENCE, R.I. -- Brown seniors Christian Martinez and Marcio tallied goals in the final minutes of each half to lead No. 25 Brown past Vermont 2-0 at Stevenson Field.

Brown (12-5-1) advanced to a second-round meeting with Duke, 1 -0 winner over South Carolina.

Martinez broke the scoreless tie in the 43rd minute, taking a service from Scott Powers’ free kick from 20 yards and heading it across the mouth of the goal and into the net to put the Bears up 1-0.

If not for some stellar goalkeeping in the second half by Vermont’s Chris Shaver, who spoiled three Brown scoring bids with brilliant saves, the Bears would have taken an even greater advantage.

The Catamounts (13-8-1) nearly tied the game with 15 minutes remaining when Brown goalkeeper Matthew Cross was caught out of the net as he cheated out for a loose ball, but the Vermont shot rolled inches wide of the far post.

Marcio put the game away with his fourth goal of the season at 85:40. A Vermont midfielder passed the ball back to a defender, but Marcio tipped the ball past the defense and caught Shaver out of the net. Marcio carried around the Vermont keeper and rolled the ball into the goal to make it 2-0.

Brown defense recorded its fifth shutout of the season. Cross made seven saves to extend his Brown record for career shutouts to 23.

[22] Rhode Island 3, [24] Boston College 0

KINGSTON, R.I. -- Junior Nicholas McCreath scored a pair of goals to lead No. 22 Rhode Island to a 3-0 decision over 24th-ranked Boston College (12-7-1) before 2,173 at the URI Soccer Complex.

Rhode Island (17-5-1) advanced to a second-round visit to No. 1 and top seed North Carolina, a 3-2 overtime winner over William & Mary.

The Rams went ahead 1-0 when senior Sean Barrett took a pass from junior Dennis Richards and beat Boston College senior keeper Chris Hamblin to the far post at 37:42.

URI extended its advantage to 2-0 when McCreath controlled the ball in the middle of the field and netted an unassisted tally at 67:53.

McCreath capped off the scoring when he took a pass from senior Steven DeMoura at the top of the box and scored his 20th of the season at 79:03.

Senior Mark Bryant made six saves to post the clean sheet for the Rams.

©Copyright 2000 All Rights Reserved