Women's top 25

How the Women's Top 25 Fared

Women's scores

Women's Player of the Week

Men's top 25

How the Men's Top 25 Fared

Men's scores

Men's Player of the Week

College soccer

Men's College Cup

Indiana wins again on the West Coast, edging Washington 2-1 on Fundenberger goal.

SEATTLE, Wash. (Saturday, November 25, 2000) -- The NCAA menís tournament selection committee obviously didnít think much of Indianaís chances of winning a third straight Division I national championship, sending the Hoosiers to the West Coast for its first two matches.

That lack of respect turned out to be bad news for San Jose State and Washington. After making short work of San Jose State, the tournamentís eighth seed, 4-0 in the first round, No. 15 Indiana (15-6) used goals by Marcus Chorvat and Matt Fundenberger tonight to come from behind for a 2-1 decision over 13th-ranked Washington before 1,805 at Husky Soccer Field.

The Hoosiers, who played one player short for the final 17 minutes, advanced to next weekendís quarterfinals and a meeting with the winner of Rhode Islandís Sunday visit to No. 1 North Carolina. It was the second year in a row that the Huskies (14-6) saw their season end at the hands of Indiana in the NCAA tournamentís second round.

Fundenberger, a senior, headed in his team-high 12th goal after collecting a cross from Ryan Mack for a 2-1 lead at 52:18. Tyler Hawley started the play with a header that was blocked by a Husky defender, Mack corralled the ball and sent it to the near post where Funderberger put it away.

Washington jumped ahead 1-0 when junior midfielder Ben Somoza sent a line drive off a free kick into the left corner over reserve goalkeeper Colin Rogers at 6:00.

Rogers was playing for injured senior goalkeeper T.J. Hannig. "I knew the goal was a save I should have made," Rogers said. "But I also knew the game was far from over. I needed to play hard and not worry about the early mistake."

The Hoosiers answered quickly. UW keeper Chad Olsen deflected a shot by Pat Noonan, but Chorvat collected a loose ball and knocked it home for a 1-1 tie at 11:37.

"I think it was very important that we got a goal right after Washington's," Indiana coach Jerry Yeagley said. "It was a big, big factor. On the road, down a goal, six minutes in, it was big swing in momentum. We feel very fortunate to travel to the West Coast two weeks in a row and come back with victories against two excellent teams."

It was a fairly even match between the teams, although Indiana played with 10 men after Chorvat was ejected with his second yellow card at 73:31.

"I was really nervous after getting sent of the field, knowing we had to play with 10 players" Chorvat said. "I said about three ĎHail Marysí and five ĎOur Fathersí during those 16 minutes."

The Hoosiers finished with 16 shots while Washington had 15. UW had an 8-7 advantage in corner kicks and fouls were even at 19 apiece. Olsen collected five saves in goal for Washington while Rogers totaled four.

"There was a lapse there in the second half and Indiana went ahead, 2-1," Huskies coach Dean Wurzberger said. "We just did not seem to be sharp in terms of closing down the cross and then when the cross came over, a guy ran unmarked; that cost us. But, having said that, we had a plan in place should we have to chase the game like that. We created chances; unfortunately, the equalizer did not come. After the dream start of catching a goal early, we were very optimistic, but a counterattack led to their equalizer and then we had to battle back."

[9] Creighton 3, [5] San Diego 0

SAN DIEGO -- No. 9 Creighton also found the West Coast hospitable, using second-half goals by Keith Sawarynski, Matt Jewett and Brian Mullan to drop fifth-ranked San Diego 3-0 before a capacity crowd of 4,000 at Torero Stadium.

"Both teams played extremely hard and it was one of those matches where you felt the first team to score would win," Creighton coach Bret Simon said. "Through the middle of the second period this match could have gone either way. The final score is not an indication of how close this match really was."

Heavy fog nearly delayed kickoff and the mist continued to roll in and out throughout the first half and a brief part of the second.

Creighton (19-3), using three forwards up front, attacked the Toreros (16-2-2) from the onset and outshot USD 10-2 in the first half and 19-9 for the game. The Bluejays had some early chances, but Toreros keeper Justin Neerhof recorded four saves in the first half, and sophomore defender Garrett Turk blocked a potential goal.

Sawarynski put Creighton ahead for good 1-0 at 50:54 when he scored his seventh goal from 10 yards off a cross from Mike Tranchilla into the center of the box.

The Bluejays jumped ahead 2-0 at 69:40 when Jewett received a pass from Mullan and netted his first goal of the season from 15 yards out.

CU put the game out of reach when Mullan converted his 15th goal on a breakaway after getting set up by Ishmael Mintah.

Creighton keeper Mike Gabb recorded five saves for the shutout.

San Diegoís .850 winning percentage was the best in school history.

[8] Southern Methodist 3, Kentucky 1

DALLAS -- Eighth-ranked Southern Methodist used Mohamed Fahimís fourth three-goal game of the season, including the decisive tally in the 76th minute to defeat Kentucky 3-1 before an estimated 958 fans at Westcott Field.

SMU (19-4) will face No. 3 Stanford in the quarterfinals. It will be the Mustangsí ninth quarterfinal appearance since 1985, but the school has never advanced to the Final Four. The most recent trip to the quarters was in 1997 when Saint Louis advanced in a penalty-kicks tiebreaker after a four-overtime draw in torrential rain.

Fahimís winner came two minutes after Kentucky (11-9-2) pulled even at 1-1 on Ilkka Janttiís conversion of J.D. Stephensonís free kick at 73:27.

Luchi Gonzalez and Ryan Kenyon were credited with assists when Fahim put SMU ahead 2-1 at 75:42.

"The physical play of the Missouri Valley Conference prepared us for this game," said SMU coach Schellas Hyndman. "If we would have stayed in the Western Athletic Conference, we would have struggled. Because of the MVC, we were more accustomed to the physical play of Kentucky."

Fahim topped off his hat trick with a breakaway for his 23rd goal at 89:55. He also broke free for a clear run on goal and a 1-0 advantage at 21:21 after a quick pass from Matt Whitely after he stripped a Wildcat.

"SMU is a very dangerous and very potent offensive team," Kentucky coach Ian Collins said.

[3] Stanford 6, Illinois-Chicago 0

STANFORD, Calif. -- Senior forward Corey Woolfolk scored two of Stanford's six second-half goals as the third-ranked Cardinal romped over visiting Illinois-Chicago 6-0 at New Maloney Field.

Woolfolk now has five of his 12 goals this season in the NCAA tournamentís first two rounds.

Stanford (18-2-1), the tournamentís No. 3 seed in the tournament, faces Southern Methodist in next weekendís semifinals.

Woolfolk ignited a six-goal outburst with a goal at 47:25. Five minutes later, Derek Shanahan sent a cross to Matt Moses, who then redirected the ball to a streaking Lee Morrison for a 2-0 Stanford lead.

The Cardinal increased its lead to 4-0 with two goals in a span of 38 seconds. At the 66:35 mark, Roger Levesque sent a through ball to Ryan Nelsen who then found Woolfolk for a breakaway goal. Woolfolk then returned the favor, feeding Levesque for an open shot at 67:13.

Stanford, which held a 19-5 shots advantage over UIC (18-4-2), finished the second-half outburst with scores in the 81st and 83rd minutes. Mike Murphy volleyed home Shanahan's cross from the left for a 5-0 advantage. Then Nelsen scored off a rebound to make it 6-0.

Goalkeepers Adam Zapala and Andrew Terris combined on Stanford's 16th shutout of the year, setting a new school single-season record. Eighteen victories equal the 1998 teamís record.

©Copyright 2000 All Rights Reserved